Carrots

So, I have this idea that I can make my own baby food.  We'll see how this goes.  Here's my first attempt at carrot puree.  I didn't do a lot since I wasn't sure how he'd react & I don't really know what I'm doing. Organic carrots peeled, cut, steamed, & put through the food mill.


I then forced them through a fine-mesh sieve and put them in ice-cube trays for easy portions.

Before being fed carrots:

After the first two bites (notice the clean bib.) I don't think he knows what to make of it.

I didn't get an after shot b/c I think they were a little on the thick side & we had a small choking scare.  I think next time I'll add some milk to water it down & make more of a slurry.  Alex wants to call them a stage two food and not attempt them again for a while.  I think I'm okay with that considering how little he actually digested.  Had Alex not warned me what I'd find in the diaper, I think I would have been quite alarmed.

The bib did it's job.  Alex said it has a Jackson Pollock quality to it.

Perhaps I'll try peas next time so I don't turn him orange with an overdose of beta carotene.  Oh, and I'm getting two baby food books soon.  I'm kind of thinking there will be something in there about carrots. "Not recommended for stage one food as they retain their firmness even after a thorough steaming."  (And they were thoroughly steamed as I took a nap with Isaac and forgot about them.)

Comments

  1. I LOVE everything about this post! The pictures, honesty, commentary! Love!

    You can make your own baby food and it will be great! I think stage two is a fine definition. And Leo will choke on anything if (1) he doesn't like it or (2) he puts too much in his mouth. Get ready. You will have lots of those "over your knee" hymlichs!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment