Baby Asher is here!

On April 8 at 8:04 am, Baby Asher said hello to the bright world.

Abridged Birth story:
After giving Asher a few extra days to come on his own and possibly do a VBAC, Alex and I went to the hospital on the morning of Friday, April 8 at 5:45 am.  We were prepped (paperwork and medically) for a scheduled cesarean to begin at 7:45 am.  The epidural went much better this time.  The anesthesiologist talked to us about the narcotics in the epidural and said that how the epidural would be administered a bit differently this time and the narcotics was a bit lower dose. (I may not be getting this correct; there was something about the other one having part intravenous, but I don't really remember.)  They were hopeful that I wouldn't have the same reaction as last time and I did not.  Hooray!

I was incredibly nervous the whole prep period, so I'm glad I didn't have to wait long.  At 7:49, I was wheeled into the operating room and given warm air that was pumped into my surgery gown.  It covered my chest and felt really comforting considering the rest of me was exposed to the doctors and residents (I had about 4 in the room observing.)  Since I had a previous C-section I was warned that this one would take longer due to scar tissue before and after baby was delivered.  After about 15 minutes I was warned that I would feel a lot of pressure under my ribs (the were pushing down so baby would come out of the small incision) and then this little grayish bundle came out and Dr.'s looked him over to make sure he was breathing well.  They took their time cleaning me up and did a thorough job due to scar tissue and the meconium that proved Asher made himself at home. ;-)

After a wipe down for Asher, the doctors gave Alex, Asher, and me an hour to ourselves.  It was great having some immediate skin-to-skin time and time when I was actually awake and alert (not like last time.)

Here's our little bundle.  More on the hospital stay and first days home coming soon.






I'll eventually have a more robust birth story here. 

Comments

  1. He's beautiful and so are you!! I am so glad Asher's birth was more smooth than Isaac's!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the new addition!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment