Preparing for the winter

We had a great Thanksgiving at DH's parents house.  Out to eat was a great choice for only four people.  It was relaxing with no prep or clean up, plus everyone received exactly what they wanted.  His parents live in a small town so we did a little bit of shopping on black Friday, but we didn't have to fear the crowds.

As the days shorten and temperatures drop, I'm reminded that winter and the holidays are coming.  I've started some decorating, but was saddened to discover that our tree is still in storage - drats!  I do have some old things up already, though.  Below is a nativity scene that my grandmother had for years.  There are even some Woolworth stickers on the bottom.  One piece cost 29 cents!


My grandmother also had a wonderful wreath.  I'm not sure who made this one, but I suspect she had a hand in it years ago.  I added the berries a few years ago to make it a bit more festive.


DH and I are also gearing up for the winter weather by getting our fireplace ready.  It was inspected, cleaned, and repointed in the summer, but we didn't have any cover, tools, or firewood holder.... until recently.  The picture doesn't show it well, but the wood holder has a place for kindling and newspapers, which is quite nice.


More pictures to come - including a wreath my mother-in-law gave me, which I have redone.

Comments

  1. I love that you have Grandma's nativity scene and wreath up. I think of her all the time. I know she would be looking on fondly at your house and you and Alex.

    And the fire place looks so clean! Wow! Show me a picture in a few months!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment