Roy loves beef jerky and baguettes

A little while ago DH and I experimented with leaving Roy out of his crate while we run short errands.  The first two times were great.  However, the temptation of beef jerky was too great.  He ate nearly a whole pound of it while we were out of the house.  Before you ask, it was sealed and on the counter and he had already been fed both times that day.  He drank a ton of water for the next two days, but was otherwise okay.

The surprise we came home to... an empty torn open jerky bag.

After that we crated him each time we went out.  However, that didn't stop him from getting into thing he shouldn't while we were home.  In preparation for making pain perdu, I had several large pieces of a baguette sitting out to dry a bit.  While I was in another room, Roy snatched three large pieces.  Needless to say, I wasn't too pleased.  He must have put his paws up on the counter to get them as they were not close to the edge.  Lesson finally learned - no food, what-so-ever can be out while he is around.

Roy did make up for it, though.  On our morning walk, I took him to a bakery.  I tied him up outside and told him to sit & stay.  While in line, I kept peeking to make sure he was okay & he did wonderfully.  After buying a replacement baguette, I went outside to see him sitting exactly where I told him to.  Go Roy!

Pain perdu was back on.  After seeing something on Diner's Drive-Ins and Dives, I was inspired to make the really French french toast.  It is part DDD recipe and part baked french toast my mother-in-law makes.  After realizing I didn't have Maple syrup, I decided to make a quick sauce, too and it turned out wonderfully.  It was somewhere between bread pudding and pastry.  Tre' yum!


For those who care I'm including the recipe.  Please note that I didn't measure as I was sort of making it up, but this is a close approximation.  

Pain Perdu
1 regular baguette
4 egg yolks + 2 eggs (I freeze the whites for DH for omelets/scrambled eggs)
1/4 C whipping cream
1/4 C half & half
3 Tbls Grand Marnier

4 Tbls butter, divided
1 Tbls vegetable oil
1/4 C apricot preserves
2 Tbls Grand Marnier
1 Tbls water

Cut baguette on a slight bias. Whisk next four ingredients together in a flat-bottomed dish. (I used a 8x8 pan, but didn't use all the baguette as is was just DH and me.)  Add bread pieces & turn each in the mixture to coat.  Cover & put in fridge overnight. 

In the morning, turn bread pieces once more. Preheat oven to 350. Put 2 Tbls butter & oil in cast iron skillet over medium heat & brown all sides.  After turning to last side, put immediately in oven for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile make sauce by combining remaining 2 Tbls butter, preserves, Grand Marnier, and water over low heat in a small pan.  Remove from oven, plate, & cover with sauce.  Serve warm.

Comments

  1. I really will try this one day!! Cool! Is this what you had on Sunday?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment